About Clara Luxford
My passion for mental health began over thirty years ago following a serious bout of post-natal depression. Even as a midwife I did not realise what was happening to me, so I tried, not very successfully, to get on with life. I distracted myself with family life, working in travel and tourism and going to university.
I studied various things in different universities, however it didn’t matter what course I took, I would always end up exploring different aspects of human behaviour. It seemed inevitable that my fascination with the human condition would eventually lead me to more formal study in psychology. What really fascinated me was the experience of the individual and their unique way of being in the world.
I enrolled at Jansen Newman Institute in Sydney, completing the Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy before going on to complete their master’s degree. Unique to studying counselling and psychotherapy at Jansen Newman was their requirement that students undergo their own therapy. This was a powerful experience.
I have been in private practice for five years and am privileged to be a volunteer counsellor at ACON since the beginning of 2013.
In my counselling and psychotherapy practice I draw on my formal qualifications in psychology, my diverse studies and research, a long association with meditation and mindfulness, as well as my own rich and varied life.
- Master Counselling and Applied Psychotherapy
- Graduate Diploma in counselling and psychotherapy
- Master International Social Development
- Master Heritage Conservation (Museum Studies)
- Graduate Diploma in Media Arts (Documentary Film Making)
- Graduate Diploma in Tourism Management
- BA (Italian Language & Literature)
- Meditation Facilitator’s Certificate